As the Head of Mobile at Bilue, Craig is focused on high-quality development practices and sustainable architectures. With over 20 years experience in enterprise software development and architecture, coupled with practical deployment of distributed solutions, Craig has a rarely-seen depth of knowledge across a diverse range of platforms, technologies and products.
YOW! Connected 2016 Melbourne
Beyond the Glamour – Building Supportable Mobile Apps
Everybody loves building and shipping apps! It is exciting. However, once the thrill of releasing has died down, the cold hard reality of providing ongoing support for these apps kicks in.
Aimed squarely at developers, tech leads and operations teams, you’ll be presented with some of the common pitfalls that are encountered post go-live, and explore some techniques (both technical and operational) that can be used pre-emptively to make your developers’ and support teams’ lives easier.
Broadly speaking, the presentation will be broken into 5 sections:
- Architecture/Design – A number of architectural and design patterns that can be used to set your project up for success in the long term.
- Development Practices – You’ll learn about some development practices that will assist developers and QA testers to have a predictable and reproducible process.
- Production Support – What information do 1st/2nd/3rd level support teams need to do their job properly? Some common challenges will be presented alongside some battle-tested solutions.
- Changing App Behaviour – Updating apps’ behaviour remotely is de rigueur in today’s mobile world. A number of techniques will be described that can be used to change the behaviour of apps once they have been released into the wild.
- Discovering Problems Before Your Users – Sounds like nirvana, doesn’t it? There are a number of tools at your disposal and some elemental use cases will be outlined.